Skip to main content

Communicating without saying a word.


I was at the gym today and this memory of a video hit me. I was standing by some equipment and a guy came over and nodded towards the bench. All I had to do is shake my head. Nothing else needed. No words, just minor head movements.

This whole thing made me wonder how often I allow my nonverbal expressions to tell a story. I wonder how many times my students weren't met with a friendly smile, did that put a damper on their day? How often do I turn teachers away just by some expression I'm not even aware of?

A few years ago we came across this video. We played it during a training and then I forgot about it. Maybe a month later I was walking through Truman and I saw a bunch of signs posted. I spent maybe twenty minutes walking the halls looking at each one. These simple posters changed my whole attitude, made me think and feel differently. My whole week was more energizing just by reading a few words.

I wonder... what if we held signs like in the video? How might that change the day?



I sometimes worry that a single sign or friendly gesture might be the only kind thing some of us experience all day. I think we could change lives with ideas like this. One simple sign at at time. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this. It is so totally true. I plan on stealing this video (if that is ok with you) to try to encourage my students to promote positivity and love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who is emailing me? The Blue Man Group??? (Add an image to your Google account.)

WHY It is always nice to put a face with a name. Sometimes we need a tiny little reminder of what someone looks like because we don't see them very often. Follow these steps to add/change the image associated with your Google account. HOW Open your email. Click your image. It might just be a blue circle if you have not added something already. Click Change . Find an image you like. Your amazing new image will appear. From now on everyone can put a name to a face!

Annotate PDF? How might I do that?

So I have a PDF and I need to edit it. Here is one method that works pretty well for me. Open Word. Click File .  1. Click Open . 2. Click Browse . 3. Find the PDF you want to annotate. 4. Click Open . Click OK when you see this box. Bam! Your PDF now opens in Word. Note: you maybe have to click Enable Editing at the top of the screen. Finished editing and want to turn it back into a PDF? Click File . 1. Click Save As . 2. Click This PC . 3. Pick a location. I usually save things to my desktop. 4. Click Save as type - and choose PDF. 5. Click Save .

Zoom - How to connect to a Zoom meeting.

This post was created to help anyone who is attempting to connect to a Zoom meeting understand how the process works. Click here for a video tutorial on how to get started with Zoom Continue reading for details on how to connect on an iPad/iOS device, Android phone/tablet, Chromebook and a laptop. While this won't solve every issue, it should take care of getting you quickly connected. The post will be longer than normal, just scroll down to the device you are wanting to connect. Most of these steps only need to be done the first time. Joining the second meeting will be much easier, pretty much just click and join. Please note - I made this post super fast. There are bound to be small errors. iPad/iOS We are using an iPad for this demo. I imagine connecting an iPhone will be nearly the same. Start by downloading the Zoom app from the app store. This is the very first thing you need to do if you don't have the app first the process may be more confusing. You...