Makerspace, tinkering, and PBL are terms currently in educational fashion. Beyond the jargon, the movement to reintroduce skills necessary to define an issue, brainstorm, prototype rapidly, and refine a custom solution is BACK, baby! In the video above, you can see Caine using all of these skills as he continuously improves his home-grown arcade.
Looking to recreate these kinds of project-based opportunities for your learners? Check out these resources:
- Get a free MakerSpace PDF guidebook by signing up here. Tons of great info on how to set a makerspace up in your classroom.
- See what other teachers are doing: In California, in Atlanta, and right HERE in the STL!
- PBS's Design Squad offers design-process based lessons on how to LAUNCH marshmallows, propel rubber-band cars, etc!
- Want to encourage curiosity, but have NO MORE CLASS TIME? Offer a Curiosity Project to your students!
- An educator's 10-step path to Project-based learning
The Deep Dive: This is a great model to help define problem-based, solutions-oriented thinking...