Skip to main content

Quiet

 


Years ago I was backpacking deep in a national park. We were so far from everything I am not sure anyone would have ever found us if we got lost. What I started to notice after a few days was how quiet everything was. It really took that long, it really took over 72 hours for my head to start to quiet down. This was years before cell phones were everywhere.

Once I was able to hit the quiet, new ideas started to flow. I felt calming, a sense of relaxation was unmistakable.

This article reminded me of how vital a little quiet time is. While some of what this article suggests isn't possible in the classroom, creating tiny slices of quiet is.

What if you tried 2 minutes of silence before class started? Maybe repeating that at the end, what might happen?

Possible Next Steps

  • Experiment with 2 minutes of silence maybe at the beginning of class, during or the end. Research has proven this is beneficial so what is the best that can happen if your try it over a series of days?
  • While we might not be able to take an afternoon in the woods, what might be a way to do this with your kids? I think the biophilic design has a few good ideas to try.
  • One personal way I gained some quiet is turning off notifications on my watch, that simple act was freeing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is emailing me? The Blue Man Group??? (Add an image to your Google account.)

WHY It is always nice to put a face with a name. Sometimes we need a tiny little reminder of what someone looks like because we don't see them very often. Follow these steps to add/change the image associated with your Google account. HOW Open your email. Click your image. It might just be a blue circle if you have not added something already. Click Change . Find an image you like. Your amazing new image will appear. From now on everyone can put a name to a face!

Annotate PDF? How might I do that?

So I have a PDF and I need to edit it. Here is one method that works pretty well for me. Open Word. Click File .  1. Click Open . 2. Click Browse . 3. Find the PDF you want to annotate. 4. Click Open . Click OK when you see this box. Bam! Your PDF now opens in Word. Note: you maybe have to click Enable Editing at the top of the screen. Finished editing and want to turn it back into a PDF? Click File . 1. Click Save As . 2. Click This PC . 3. Pick a location. I usually save things to my desktop. 4. Click Save as type - and choose PDF. 5. Click Save .

Zoom - How to connect to a Zoom meeting.

This post was created to help anyone who is attempting to connect to a Zoom meeting understand how the process works. Click here for a video tutorial on how to get started with Zoom Continue reading for details on how to connect on an iPad/iOS device, Android phone/tablet, Chromebook and a laptop. While this won't solve every issue, it should take care of getting you quickly connected. The post will be longer than normal, just scroll down to the device you are wanting to connect. Most of these steps only need to be done the first time. Joining the second meeting will be much easier, pretty much just click and join. Please note - I made this post super fast. There are bound to be small errors. iPad/iOS We are using an iPad for this demo. I imagine connecting an iPhone will be nearly the same. Start by downloading the Zoom app from the app store. This is the very first thing you need to do if you don't have the app first the process may be more confusing. You...